Then along came record producer Teddy Riley, the guy behind Blackstreet, Guy, and Wreckx-N-Effect. He aimed to create a fusion of these two deeply different sounds, and his new sound (dubbed "New Jack Swing" by Above The Rim / New Jack City screenwriter Barry Michael Cooper) became the dominant urban sound of the late-80s/early-90s, making Riley the Timbaland or Neptunes or Kanye (or whoever) of his era.
This isn't to say that he was the only person with this idea: L.A. Reid & Babyface were doing pretty much the same thing at the same time, as were Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis, and (to a lesser extent) Dallas Austin. All things told, these four production houses account for over half the tracks in this mix (for the nerds, I'll post a who-did-what in the comments). You also had the whole New Edition contingent and their underlings (Bell Biv DeVoe / Bobby Brown / Ralph Tresvant / Johnny Gill / Boyz II Men / Another Bad Creation), although their production credits were still pretty limited in this era.
Anyway, this sound is basically R&B vocals over a swingy style of golden era hip-hop production—tons of samples, corny PCM drum machines, lots of that classic Technotronic-style DX7 bass, big dopey snare fills, and everything is super-shuffley and bouncey. And I love it.
Fucking LOVE. IT.
So when KyleKlip requested a New Jack Swing mixtape for the blog, I got excited. I've whipped up what I believe to be the definitive New Jack Swing tape—I've shoehorned all my faves in here, and I don't think there's anything missing (although I am sure the comments section will prove me wrong soon enough). Before you say it: I left "My Prerogative" off on purpose. Three Bobby Brown tracks (for a total of six Ex-New-Edition tracks) is enough for one mixtape. Enjoy!
Chrissy Murderbot's Year of Mixtapes Week 5: New Jack Swing.
- Jade; Don't Walk Away
- Hi-Five; I Like The Way (The Kissing Game)
- Al B. Sure!; Nite & Day
- Ralph Tresvant; Sensitivity
- Soul II Soul; Keep On Movin' (Teddy Riley's Rubba Dub)
- Bobby Brown; Every Little Step
- Color Me Badd; I Wanna Sex You Up
- Tony! Toni! Toné!; If I Had No Loot
- TLC; What About Your Friends
- Pebbles; Giving You The Benefit
- Bobby Brown; Humpin' Around
- Salt N Pepa; Expression
- Bell Biv DeVoe; Do Me!
- Keith Sweat; I Want Her
- Christopher Williams; I'm Dreamin
- Guy; Groove Me
- Bobby Brown; On Our Own
- Tevin Campbell; Round & Round
- Wreckx-N-Effect; New Jack Swing
- TLC; Ain't 2 Proud 2 Beg (Remix)
- Michael Jackson; Remember The Time (RIP HOMIE)
- Hi-Five; I Just Can't Handle It
- Boyz II Men; MotownPhilly
- Another Bad Creation; Iesha
- Bell Biv DeVoe; Poison (Remix)
- Kid N Play; Funhouse (The House We Dance In)
- Chubb Rock; Treat 'Em Right
- Tony! Toni! Toné!; Feels Good (Remix)
- Johnny Gill; Rub You The Right Way
- Babyface; It's No Crime
- DJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince; Ring My Bell
- MC Brains; Oochie Coochie
- Redhead Kingpin & The F.B.I.; Pump It Hottie
- Bubba; I Like Your Style
- Basic Black; Whatever It Takes
- Johnny Kemp; Just Got Paid
- R. Kelly & Public Announcement; She's Got That Vibe